Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

For some, the end of a the year is a time to reflect on what transpired and a time to seek new beginnings.  For many, it signifies a fresh start. Out with the old and in with the new. You can make new resolutions or promises to yourself and others so that the coming year will be better.  The word resolution is kind of an interesting word. The "solution" part, indicates that you are looking to solve a problem.  The "re" means you are solving it again?  Are we focusing on promises that haven't come through over and over again?  That is kind of depressing if you think about it.  

I like the idea of wanting to improve myself and to be a better person.  But I don't want to forget the past, because that has brought me to where I am today.  The "old" or past allows me to become a better person.  A better spouse, mother, daughter, sister, friend, neighbor.... My new year's focus this year is to take the old and make it new.  I want to breathe new life into what I already have.  I can't change the past, but I can bring new life into where I am and be thankful that I have the chance to make a difference.  


This is a very old china set that was given to me by my husbands grandmother.  Her great grandmother lived in the south at the time of the civil war.  As the story goes, the yankees were invading and they quickly had to gather their things and leave town immediately.  The only thing of value that she was able to grab, was this beautiful china plate, cup and saucer.  I was looking at it the other day and thought, why do I have this tucked away in a china cabinet?  It's a small reminder of our family past and brings a smile to my face when I look at it.  I am going to find a special place for this in the coming weeks.  It's a small treasure that makes me happy and reminds me of family.  

"Auld Lang Syne" - translated as "old long since" or "long long ago" or "for the sake of old times".  I will sing this with a different understanding at midnight tonight.  

Happy Happy New Year!

Paula 

No comments:

Post a Comment