Monday, January 26, 2015

Painted Adirondack Chair - Trash To Treasure

My husband has been saying that he wants a nice chair for the deck off of our bedroom. It's small, and we have a nice screened in porch, so I really hadn't given it much thought until.... I was walking our dog last week.  Coming around the corner, I saw these two Adirondack chairs put out with the trash.  I am a refinisher of things so what the heck right?   They looked pretty beat up....but I thought I'd do some swapping out and see if I could preserve one out of two.
Since I love to work with wood, taking pieces from one thing to another is relatively simple.  A couple of "slat" swops, and I was able to make one chair complete.
I sanded this down, primed, painted and sealed....and wholla!  Brand new chair.
Here she sits in her new little spot on the back deck.  Perfect!
This is an outdoor chair with painted wood so you have to pick your finish carefully.  I used a flat interior/exterior latex paint and I used a water based polycrylic to seal it.  Polycrylic is best used on a flat latex paint for outdoor use as it may have trouble bonding to a satin or gloss finish.  If your paint is oil based, you do not want to use a water based sealant like polycrylic. You will want to use an oil based product..

Now, if this chair was going to be in direct sunlight with lots of heat and moisture, I would have chosen a product that works with heat and moisture and blocks UV rays.  Minwax makes a product called Helmsman Spar Urethane that is good for this.  We'll see how this one holds up.

One man's trash is another man's treasure right?  :)

Have a great week!

Paula



No comments:

Post a Comment