Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Crossing The Bridge To The Other Side

I'm feeling a little sentimental this week. Ok, it's more than a little. This past weekend, my husband and I got to watch two of our children get ready for prom. It was fun to watch them both prepare and get ready for the big day. Fun to see the differences between boys and girls and how they each approached the big event.  Prom is a very big deal here in SC and lasts for 3 nights.  There are beach houses and themed party nights all leading up to the actual Prom.  
On Prom day we made a quick dash over to my sons prom house where the boys were sporting their tuxes, posing for pictures and laughing with each other as their dates were "still getting ready."

After a few quick snapshots of the boys, we went to see my daughter, the senior, and her friends all gather at the harbor.  Slowly, in groups, the girls and their dates showed up in their beautiful gowns, with beautiful hair and beautiful makeup.  Were these the same little girls that had been running around our house for the last 4 years? They looked so different.  I had yet to see my daughter all dressed up - as she got ready at a friends house.  As she rounded the corner my heart did a little flip. I felt the tears well up and my throat got tight.  I had to turn away for a moment as a big tear fell.  I was stunned at the beautiful young women in front of me. The little girl had grown up to become a beautiful woman.  I realized in that moment, that she had "crossed over" that bridge of adolescence and was ready for the next steps in her life.  

My favorite painting of all time is the one above, by Claude Monet.  It hangs in my bedroom as a reminder that we are always crossing over a bridge in life.  It is a simple little bridge really, but the concept is huge. We are always on one side getting ready to walk over.  No matter where we are in life, we are always planning, working and taking those next steps that will bring us to a new place - the other side.  The other side is full of faith, hope and dreams. No matter where we are or what stage of life we are in, we are always on one side, ready and waiting to cross over.  

“Now, faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (Hebrews 11:1)


I hope you have a great week.  Thanks for letting me share.  

Paula


No comments:

Post a Comment