Monday, June 8, 2015

More Summer Buckets....

I've been getting lots of questions on how to paint buckets recently so I want to do another post and show you how easy this is to do.
A client brought me this large copper looking bucket that she wanted me to paint.
Usually, there is some inspiration behind a project.  Sometimes not, but for me....I usually need a little direction.
My client sent me this picture of a pillow that she has and asked me to do something like this on her big bucket.  So I got to work.
Most buckets need to be primed in some way.  When you buy them from the store, the manufacturer has prepped them so they can be cleaned and used frequently without leaving any kind of residue.  In order for your paints to stick, you need a surface that will accept them.  So I typically wipe my buckets down with white vinegar and use a degreasing soap like dawn.  Then I use an etching primer that you can get from your local hardware store.  Etching primers are used as a first step coating that provides excellent adhesion to metals.  It sticks to metal surfaces and allows your paint to stick to the primer.  Just like wood primer, this is one for metal.  I get this in a spray so it's easy to use.  You do have to spray this outside and I would let the piece sit outside for a few days to let the smell evaporate. Please don't try to do this on a windy day.  Take it out back and clear from anything else close by.

Then, I take a pencil and map out what I want to do on my bucket.
I striped and checked this and then added some color.  You can use this for anything really.  My friend filled it with ice and put sangria pitchers in it for a party.  That works!

Hope this answers your questions.  Let me know if you have more.

Paula
 


No comments:

Post a Comment