Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Little Desk Makeover

Last week, I mentioned that I was starting to work on an old desk that has been around for a long time. It was in our first home in Virginia and then kind of got lost in the shuffle.  I found it......yes, in the back of my garage here in SC.  Needless to say, the desk that use to have a flat front, now has a bow front due to all of the humidity and she was in pretty bad shape.
The back board was completely split in half and needed to be replaced.

As you can see from the front view, all of the veneer was chipping off and there were some serious cracks that needed to be filled.  Out came the power sander to attack the veneer and wood putty to fill the cracks.  Typically with chalk paint, you don't need to sand, but with all the warping and veneer this needed additional attention.  I'm guessing that this was probably made in the 30's or 40's.  The stains used around that time can cause "bleed through" on your new paint so to be sure, I went ahead and sprayed this with a clear shellac (I use Zinssers).  This seals your piece and will prevent bleed through on your chalk paint.


I replaced the back of the desk with a piece of birchwood plywood.  I gave it a few coats of Old White, replaced the knobs, distressed the edges and then put on a clear coat of wax.


I used a different color on the inside just for a little personality.

See what a little paint can do?  :)

Hope you have a great Wednesday.

Thanks for stopping by.

Paula

Linking with:
Redoux Interiors
Nancherrow
Revisionary Life
Lavender Garden Cottage
Ivy and Elephants
Time Washed
Upcycled Treasures
Coastal Charm
Knick of Time Interiors


No comments:

Post a Comment