Wednesday, February 19, 2014

For The Love Of Cheese


I'm a pretty healthy eater. Ok, I'm a very healthy eater by most standards.  But I'm not a health nut in a strict kind of way.  Sure I make green smoothies, juice green drinks and work out regularly several times a week.  But I'm not a health nut in a strict kind of way.  I love good food and I love food that tastes good.  I have my weaknesses: pasta, dark chocolate, wine and yes.....I love cheese!  Trust me, I've read The China Study and have spoken with my trainer about the lack of nutritional value and damage that cheese can do to the body but.... I don't really want to hear it.  (Gosh, that sounds bad doesn't it?) I mean I care, and I limit my dairy intake, I just don't count cheese in the dairy column.  Honestly, when thinking about snacking or looking for a light meal, there isn't anything better than a glass of wine and some cheese. Well, actually there is, but today we are talking about cheese.  My good friend Annie, from up north in Virginia and I would make a meal out of fruit, brie and wine and then sit and talk for hours.  So sometimes you just have to ask yourself....Why cook when you have cheese?


 This is the most simple and most delicious recipe for baked brie.  I love it with the Fig Spread.  You can get this as most grocery stores.  You can also use strawberry or apricot jam as well but go for the fig.  It just has a little snap!

Baked Brie with Preserves

¼ cup fig spread
2 tablespoons brown sugar
 (8-ounce) Brie cheese round
4 fresh figs cut in half (don't fret it you can't find these....it will still be yummy!)
1 box plain water crackers
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Slice the brie in half, creating two pie rounds (not halves).
Mix the fig spread and brown sugar, and spread onto one of the brie rounds. Carefully place the other brie half on top.
Place the brie on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Heat in the oven for about 10-15 minutes. Don’t over cook the brie or you will have a hot mess.
This step is optional: While the brie is baking, place fruit (figs, strawberries) on a plate in the microwave until warm and soft.  Place on top of the brie.
Place the baked brie on a cutting board and serve with water crackers, sliced warm fruit and your favorite beverage.  

Enjoy!

Paula




No comments:

Post a Comment