Thursday, October 9, 2014

Do You Have Honor?

Honor.

Webster defines "honor" as:  respect that is given to someone who is admired; good reputation; good quality or character as judged by other people; high moral standards of behavior. Honor is a pretty big word - especially if it is a word you claim to live by.

I don't usually walk around thinking about whether I am 'honorable' or not.  I typically think of honor in regards to our military as they put their lives on the line for us.  Or a judge...honorably presiding over court.  And yes, I like to think I honor my mother and father.

But what about honor in our daily lives?  Are we building people up or tearing people down? If we easily find fault in other people and look for reasons to discredit them ....are we acting with honor?  If we talk negatively and gossip about others, do we demonstrate honor?  What about the ease in which we judge people?  Many claim that they are honorable and they hold themselves high in this wonderful self proclaimed definition.  But without demonstrating the true meaning of the word in all circumstances, by looking at and judging yourself first.......you don't have it.

I like the words of George Shaw above. When attempting something difficult or new, I think there is honor in trying. I'm sad that so many people today would rather condemn the mistakes of others rather than find honor and support in their attempts.

I wish we spent more time honoring each other and the imperfectness that lives in each of us. Maybe if we treated small mistakes with honor instead of judgement, great things would come to light.

Do you have honor?


Paula





No comments:

Post a Comment