Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Skirt Steak......Yes!

The other night, we had tacos for dinner.  Good ones.  I grilled up the meat, made homemade guac, fresh homemade salsa had all the fixings....and my daughter walks in and says "oh, tacos again?"  Then a few nights later, I made a fresh batch of spaghetti sauce and my son walked in and said "having spaghetti again?"  You get the picture here.....

Trying to come up with interesting and yummy dinners every night is hard.  And trust me, my kids get a variety of good dinners.  But after awhile, it's hard not to run out of ideas.  

As I stood in front of the meat counter the other day....I just couldn't bring myself to buy another pack of chicken breasts or another pork tenderloin.  I almost left...slightly depressed and unsure of what to cook for dinner.

Enter the skirt steak.  I've always passed on this cut of meat, cuz it just doesn't look so great in the package.   I had just seen a show where they grilled up the steak and it seemed so easy. Since it's thin, it cooks up quickly (bonus).  I saw this recipe the other night and wanted to give it a try.  I love pretty much anything with a chimichurri sauce.  If you are looking for a new quick meat option - try this.  You and your taste buds will be happy!

Cilantro-lime Steak Marinade:
Inspired by: Feasting at Home
1 lb skirt steak
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
2 limes juiced
3 garlic cloves
handful of cilantro
pinch of sugar
dash of red pepper flakes

Directions:
1. combine all ingredients in a bowl
2. put steak in ziploc bag, add marinade
3. refrigerate for up to 4 hours, taking steak out of the fridge approximately 30 minutes before grilling to bring to room temp
4. grill steak on medium high to desired doneness [ours was a bit chewy, it is very thin & doesn't need to be cooked long!]

Chimichurri:
handful parsley
handful cilantro
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 onion
2 limes juiced
1 clove garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 jalapeno seeds removed

Directions:
1. place jalapeno, onion & garlic in food processor & blend until chopped
2. add herbs
3. add rest of ingredients & blend until combined

This recipe came from Married Claire.  She has some good stuff on her site so check her out.  :)

Happy Wednesday!

Paula






No comments:

Post a Comment