Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Coconut Oil and Coffee

I want to share with you my new favorite kitchen gadgett and one of my new favorite health additions; a coffee frother and extra virgin coconut oil.
I've been doing a lot of reading about the benefits of extra virgin coconut oil.  The benefits include: 

• Improving your heart health
• Boosting your thyroid
• Increasing your metabolism
• Promoting a lean body and weight loss if needed
• Supporting your immune system

Now, I'm not claiming to be a nutritionist but I've spoken with a few of them and I've done some research on my own and everything I've found about it is positive.  Here is a quick link to one article, but don't yell at me if this isn't a good one.  Do the research on your own :)   But I think this is some pretty good stuff and I want to share one of the ways that I use it.

Now, I'm not a big "oil" person per say...but my dad said to try it in my coffee. So I started to put the extra virgin organic (yes, those three words are important) in my morning coffee.  In all honesty, it wasn't the greatest because the oil kind of sits on top of your coffee but I was willing to push through for the health benefits. 

Then, at the beach last week, I was introduced to a simple little frother that you can get at Bed Bath and Beyond. And let me tell you, it has changed my morning joe! So much so I want to share it with you.
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (I got mine at Whole Foods) is kind of like Crisco.  Ugh, right? I know, bare with me here..... I take about a tsp of it and add it right into my coffee. Yep, stir that oil right in there!
 You can see how oily the coffee is... it just sits on top. Not pretty.
Here is where the fun comes in.  Take your frother and froth it up! Now make sure you don't have too much coffee in your cup cuz you'll have coffee all over the place.  Try it in the sink first until you get the hang of it.
And then, tadaaa!  The oil mixes with the cream and you have your own coconut cappuccino!  And, it's so yummy.
Now if you drink your coffee black you are out of luck with the frother.  But you will get use to oily coffee if you want to add the benefit of coconut oil to it (it's really not that bad). If you use cream, go get a little frother and whip up the coconut oil into a frothy cup of healthy yum!

As you can see...I find pleasure in the little things these days....and this is one of them.  Let me know what you think.

Have a great Wednesday!

Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment