Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Having A Thankful Heart

"If the only prayer you said in your whole life was "thank you," that would suffice.  ~Meister Echart
Most of us have been taught to say "please and thank you" since the time we were little.  I remember my parents and teachers emphasizing these two little words from a very early age.   As a parent, I too emphasized the importance of this to my children but it usually followed a gift or kind gesture. Rarely, did we sit down just to give thanks for what we have in our lives.

I was reading something the other day about the importance of having a thankful heart.  I know it's important and I try to be thankful but it reminded me of how short I fall on giving thankfulness it's due presence in my life. To give thanks in all things....not just the big things.

Giving thanks is something we should do daily.  It's the appreciation for what we have that opens doors and allows more positive things to enter.  Having a lack of thankfulness is like building a brick wall around yourself halting the energy force of life.  It keeps the bad energy in.

Having a thankful heart calls attention to what is good in your life.  It can turn bad things into good by giving you a different perspective on a situation and reminds you of what is important.

At the end of last year, I started practicing an hour of silence each week to pray and give thanks for all that I have. It's an hour of focused Adoration.  Sounds easy right? But let me tell you how hard that hour really is!  I go to chapel to pray and listen.  No phones, no distractions....just quiet.  The power of this hour has been amazing.  But now I'm realizing that there is no reason that I can't have a small gratitude session every day either to start my day or throughout my day.  Imagine the blessings that will come to us if we recognize the daily blessings that we already have. How can you have your own gratitude session?

  • Take a few minutes to sit and give thanks for your life as it is today.  
  • Give thanks to others that have helped you or inspired you or brought something to your attention.
  • Give thanks for the negative things in your life too.  What?? Yes.  Give thanks for what is in your life good or bad. It is during difficult times that we have the opportunity to grow and learn.  
  • Find a simple gratitude prayer or verse that you can say or read every day.  Use it as a reminder to give thanks.  Put it in your car visor, your wallet or on your nightstand. Whatever will create a spark in you to stop and give thanks.
Be Thankful

Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire, if you did, what would there be to look forward to?
Be thankful when you don't know something for it gives you the opportunity to learn.
Be thankful for the difficult times, during those times you grow.
Be thankful for your limitations because they give you the opportunities for improvement.
Be thankful for each new challenge because it will built your strength and character.
Be thankful for your mistakes because they will teach you valuable lessons.
Be thankful when you're tired and wary because it means you've made a difference.
It is easy to be thankful for the good things.  A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks.
GRATITUDE can turn a negative into a positive.  Find a way to be thankful for your troubles and they can become your blessings.
                                                               ~ author unknown

Are you giving thankfulness its due presence in your life?

Thank you for reading my thoughts today.   

Paula 












No comments:

Post a Comment