Tuesday, September 2, 2014

What Paint Do You Use?

Do I use other paint besides Annie Sloan Chalk paint? The answer is pretty simple.  I have and do on occasion......but I don't really like to.
Painting for me is fun.  I enjoy it. Painting furniture with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and then going back to a latex paint is hard. I find that I don't enjoy my paint time with latex.  I recently ran out of ASCP in white and turned to a can of white latex that I had. I was only using the white in a small area so I didn't think it would be a big deal. The coverage, smell and dry time was totally different.  When I went to distress the piece, the latex paint peeled and created a mess (latex is the wrong paint for distressing).  I forgot how easy and simple chalk paint is to use.  So I ran out and bought a can of pure white and happily finished my piece.  

The color palette is another reason that I like ASCP.  The colors are so pretty and your options are endless.  I have yet to come up with a project, where one of her colors doesn't work.    

A lot of people think that you have to distress and make your pieces look old and worn with ASCP.  You can make beautiful hand painted pieces without distressing if that is your choice. Without having to sand, prime and prep your piece, why not use a great paint with great colors that gives you a great finish? And, it takes half the time to complete.  

Favorite colors?  I mainly use old white, paris grey, french linen, country grey and duck egg.  I try to stick to neutral colors that allow pieces the freedom to move from room to room.  

Do I always wax?  Yes.  I don't like the feel of chalk paint unfinished.  It reminds me of a chalk board and I don't like the chalk feel.  I love using the clear wax.  I rub it on, buff it and it's a smooth as glass. I don't always use the dark wax.  This is a personal preference and some pieces just don't need it.  

So do I use other paints? Not unless I have to.  :)

Hope you are having a great week.

Paula






No comments:

Post a Comment