Thursday, February 6, 2014

Sweet Anne's Sideboard Makeover

I bet you have an old Queen Anne style side board in your dining room or possibly your attic. It may have been given to you by your aunt or your grandmother. You are probably thinking....I don't need this anymore and it doesn't go with my new furniture or what I want to do in this room...right? This is where you just need a little vision and some chalk paint.  

I picked this up from my sweet new DIY friend Anne the other day.  She said she didn't need it anymore and I was more than happy to take it off her hands.  

I had a vision in my mind of what I wanted to do with this.  You can see Isabelle gets very excited too when I start to paint :).   I wanted to do a crackle in old white and have a pink show up through the crackle.  I thought that would look pretty neat.  So I painted my first coat pink, put the crackle on and then painted the top coat in old white.

It worked in some places and not as well in others. This is where people get frustrated and feel like they aren't meant to paint or they aren't doing something right. But, you couldn't be more wrong. This is where you sit back and say...hmmm....not really what I want so let me try something else. Not a big deal.  Get out some Zinssers Shellac, and spray it over the crackle.  If you don't, the crackle will continue to activate with your next coat of paint.  I painted over the crackle with some country grey and began to distress and sand the top.  This is also where every painter stops in the process and thinks... is this working? Step away from it.  Look at it from another angle.  I liked what I was seeing.  

I used the old white on the front and back panel and did the legs in country grey to combine the colors on top and pull the look together.  


I love how distressed the top looks. 

I changed out the hardware to something a bit more chunky to support all of the distress and gave it a clear wax.  I decided not to use the dark wax on this piece.  See...you don't have to use the dark wax!


I love how this piece turned out.  Change the decor and this piece will go in any room.

I bet you have an old piece of furniture that needs a makeover.  Go ahead and give it one. You won't regret it.

Thanks for visiting.

Have a great Thursday.

Paula


Linking to:


No comments:

Post a Comment