Friday, January 31, 2014

Pink Roses and a Poem

Pink roses are my absolute favorite. I received my first dozen roses ever (they were pink) from my sweet high school boyfriend when I was 16 and not feeling very well. The roses came along with a brand new pair of Nike tennis shoes, a bunch of "Hubba Bubba" bubble gum (there is inside significance there) and a poem that I still carry with me. It was a sweet, kind gesture that I remember fondly.


Pink roses are the longest existing roses known to the world and are depicted in some of the earliest known pieces of art.  All beauty and fragrance associated with roses can be traced back to the pink rose. Roses are not only a symbol of love and gratitude but the pink rose carries with it, its newer connotation of grace, elegance, sweetness and romance.  I love them because I think they are beautiful and sweet and they remind me of that time when I was 16 and all of life was before me.

As I've gotten older, I am learning to appreciate what I have and I am trying to become more kind and thankful in all that I do. I want people to be kind, but that always isn't the case. The trials and tribulations of life are not always easy.  So if you are going through a tough time and you feel like life is handing you lemons or you need a bit of inspiration....I want you to read the poem that my husband gave me so long ago. Maybe it will help you feel better or make you see things in a different light.

Don’t You Quit
When things go wrong, as they sometimes will, 

When the road you're trudging seems all uphill, 
When the funds are low and the debts are high, 
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh, 
When care is pressing you down a bit-
Rest if you must, but don't you quit. 

Life is queer with its twists and turns, 

As every one of us sometimes learns, 
And many a fellow turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out.

Don't give up though the pace seems slow -
You may succeed with another blow. 
Often the goal is nearer than, 
it seems to a faint and faltering man; 
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor's cup; 
And he learned too late when the night came down, 
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out -

The silver tint in the clouds of doubt, 
And you never can tell how close you are, 
It might be near when it seems afar; 
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.
Ralph Acosta
We all need support at one time or another.  Will you lend yours to someone this weekend? 

Happy Friday!

Paula


No comments:

Post a Comment