Tuesday, January 14, 2014

You Light Up My Life

Light fixtures make a huge difference in a home.  When we first moved into our new home I thought it was perfect just as it was and that I didn't need to change any of the light fixtures.....except one.  We have a nook in our kitchen which prevents us from having a traditional table and chairs to work around.  In the center of the nook, hung this large drum lamp.  It didn't belong in the kitchen and you could see it from almost every room downstairs.  It was out of place, blocked views and was unattractive.  Let's just call a spade a spade. Here she sits in the attic, where she will most likely stay.



My husband thought it looked great. Ha! It needed to go. Finding or replacing chandeliers and lamps that work in your spaces is not an easy task.  It took me several trips to different lighting stores and several wrong choices to find the right one.


I knew as soon as I saw this, that it would be perfect for my little nook.  It is light, airy, whimsical and fits the openness of our floor plan.  I love everything about it. It makes me happy just to look at it.





When we first moved in, the nook was my least favorite place in the house. It was tricky to decorate. I had to find a pedestal table that would fit in the space allotted. The table couldn't have legs because you need to slide in and out of the built in side benches.  It also couldn't be too wide, because I was limited on space. You can see the island that starts to the right. Once I found the table I opted for a small covered bench instead of additional chairs on the opposite side to keep the room open.  I recovered the seat cushions in black and put in plantation shutters.


The nook is actually one of my favorite places in the house now.  The rug is next......

Lamps are easy to change and can make a complete difference in a room.  If you don't like your lighting, change it.  Take a picture of your space and bring it with you when you go shopping.  Most lighting stores have people that can recommend what size and shapes will work best for your space.  It really helps with all of the options available today.  

Thanks for stopping by.  

Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment