Thursday, January 2, 2014

Glazing Furniture

Glazing furniture is so easy! The piece on the right is what I started with.  The piece on the left is what this looks like after I put a glaze on it.


A couple of weeks ago, I did a blog tutorial on Painting Cane chairs. Here is the video Painting Cane Chairs.  Below is what the chairs looked like after the first tutorial.  I love how they turned out, but I just wasn't totally happy..... it was just kind of plain.  The wood needed a little bit of something.


I'm not a fan of dark wax on Annie Sloan Old White but knew that the chairs and the detail would pop out with a little bit of color.  So I decided to put a light antique glaze on them.  It's subtle, but makes a difference.

The glaze added a hint of color and got into the carvings of the wood and gave it a little character.  I could have used a darker glaze, but I already have dark furniture in the room and wanted to keep it light.  Can you see the difference? The right side has the glaze.



 You can use any clear glaze that allows you to add color.  I used Martha Stewart Antique Effect.

Take a plastic cup and put a few tablespoons of glaze in the cup and add a little bit of paint color - I did equal parts of glaze and paint.  I used Annie Sloan Country Grey for my paint color.  Paint over your furniture with an old chip brush or nylon brush.  Work in small sections.

Wipe on the glaze and then take a wet rag and wipe it off. You can take off as much as you want and add more if you like. Rinse your rag as you go along so the glaze doesn't build up on your rag. The glaze doesn't dry as quickly as paint so you can play with this a bit and see how you like it.  I could have added a brown or black latex paint to the glaze if I wanted to really make the antique effect stand out. For this piece I wanted a very light antique effect.

Don't be afraid of glazing.  It's easier than painting and quickly transforms your piece.  I like a brown glaze better than the dark wax used on its own for light colored paint....(sorry annie, but it's just a bit softer and easier to work with).

Have fun with it!

Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment