Now I know most moms and women today are busy and don't always have time to whip up something homemade and healthy. We come home from work or a busy day and usually head right back out the door to swimming, soccer, basketball, football, dance, wrestling or some other after school activity. No sooner are the kids in the car and we are on the way home and we hear....."what's for dinner?" Ugh, the dreaded dinner question. Even if there are no after school activities, we are tired and cooking is not all that much fun when you are pooped!
I want to share a simple, healthy and easy one pan pasta dish that you can whip up in literally 20 minutes! I got this recipe off of Pinterest one night as I was surfing for new dishes. I passed it on to several others and they said it was a hit with their family too so I thought I'd pass it along to you.
This recipe comes from She Knows Food And Recipes and it is a keeper!
Orzo beef skillet recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 a large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juice
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 ounces orzo
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups chopped kale or baby spinach
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and onions to the pan and cook until the beef is browned and the onions have softened.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, water, orzo and seasoning.
- Mix everything together, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the orzo is fully cooked.
- Stir in the chopped kale/spinach until wilted.
- Top with the Parmesan cheese and serve.
Now it's not mom's spaghetti sauce (coming in a later post) but its a good quick healthy meal.
For my skinny no carb friends, take a break. Mangia! (eat)
The Thrifty Home