Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Pizza Pie

Ok...not only do I love refinishing old furniture...but secretly I'm a foodaholic.  I love food. But not just any food, I'm talking good food.  I'm talking healthy fresh ingredients and food that is good for you.  Yes, I make green smoothies and I found a juicer that didn't break the bank and I get in a good juicing a few days a week.  Lately, I've sort of been on a Paleo kick.  You know....the diet of the cave man, our ancestors.  Basically, fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats - no grains, dairy or beans (there's a bit more to it, but you get the idea).  My new obsession right now is spaghetti squash.  I shared one of my favorites a couple weeks ago.  After this post one of my readers asked me to share more healthy recipes. So today I want to share a new favorite dish!
It's called spaghetti squash pizza pie.  Work with me here...  This recipe comes from Paleomg.com.  If you want some great paleo recipes, give her site a try.  But in all honesty, if you are looking to lose some lbs and you want to eat healthy you have to have food that tastes great. Otherwise you are going to raid that fridge at 10pm at night and feel horrible the next day.  Go ahead and raid it, but raid it on good food.  Healthy eating doesn't mean carrots, celery and salads. You just have to plan what's in your fridge a bit more.

This recipe came from my sister in law who got it from her sister in law who is a crossfit rockstar!  I ate it for dinner on the first night, breakfast the next day....and it was on my mind for the rest of the day....hoping I had some left for dinner. Yep, I'm kind of like that. :)
Start with a whole spaghetti squash. Cut it in half and lay it face down on a cookie sheet.  I have two here cuz I like to make extra and store it in the fridge for later in the week.  Bake at 400 for about 50 min. 
Once the squash has cooled a bit, scrape a whole squash into a large bowl.  In a skillet, brown a 1lb of Italian sausage and a yellow onion.  Add a small jar of pizza sauce (this kind of weirded me out cuz I'm not a jar/sauce person but look for one with the least preservatives - I used Ferrara's which is good). Add a tsp of dried basil and a little salt and pepper. Add the sausage mixture to the squash and then beat three eggs and add to the bowl. Grease an 8x8 pan and dump it in.  I know....  this does not look very good at this point...but keep the faith!
Bake it at 400 for 50 minutes.  Let it rest for 5 minutes before you dive in!

It's like your own little squash lasagna!  YUM! Serve it with a side salad. It's a great healthy snack too.  
Enjoy!

Ingredients
         1 large spaghetti squash
         1 pound italian sausage
         ½ yellow onion, diced
         1 cup pizza sauce 
         1 teaspoon dried basil
         salt and pepper, to taste
         3 eggs, whisked

Instructions
.                Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
.                Bake spaghetti squash for 50 min
.                Once squash is done cooking, remove threads and place in a bowl.
.                In a skillet, add italian sausage and onion. Cook until pink no longer remains in the sausage and it is broken up into pieces.
.                Add pizza sauce, dried basil and salt and pepper to the sausage and mix well.
.                Add sausage mixture to squash.
.                Add whisked eggs to the baking dish and mix everything together until you can no longer see the eggs.
.                Place in oven and bake for 50 min.
Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.


Paula

P.S. I don't claim to be on the Paleo diet strictly.  I use cream in my coffee, I love cheese and I'm not giving up pasta.  I am just trying to make better choices for my body along the way and want to share what I'm learning.


Linking with






No comments:

Post a Comment